Tuesday, June 17, 2008

hallelujah.

Hi friends.

So I spent the last week in Missouri at KAA, with our youth impact kids. They had needed one more girl counselor and I just decided (with Kimberly's help) to just do it. I am so glad that I went, and I know that the Lord obviously placed me there for a reason.

I went as a Kaleo; all the kids came in buses and vans from churches across the country, with several "Kaleos" accompanying them. We didn't have much responsibility with the kids because they had their own counselors, so we basically got to rest and read and be poured into with worship and speakers.

Oh and one other thing - most of the Kaleos were anywhere from 35-70 years old, and African-American. The women around my bunk were Doris, Nell, Gwen, Novella, Teola... They were awesome. These were men and women who have been in inner city ministry for years, and many of them live in the inner city or once did. At first I was intimidated because I was obviously not similar to them, being young and white. The Lord used them to show me so much love and encouragement.

With every song we sang in worship and with every speaker we heard, they would constantly shout "amen" or "thank you Jesus" when they agreed. Their prayers were so powerful and confident in the Lord's strength, while at the same time constantly admitting how messed up and in need of a Savior we are. The theme from this week would have to be that "the Lord is good, and let the redeemed of the Lord say so."

He is good. He is faithful. He doesn't need to use us, but He chooses to use us to set people in bondage free. One day the director's wife talked to us about being desperate for the Lord. She used Mark 5:24-34 as an example, when the bleeding woman touches Jesus' robe and is immediately healed. She was desperate for healing, and she knew that only Jesus could save her.

So often that is my problem. I am perfectly comfortable where I am and depend too much on myself. I get into the motions of "faith" and getting into the Word, but my heart is not postured towards bowing before the Lord. I feel like God used this week to begin a huge work in my heart.

I read over Psalm 119 while I was there and was hit with these words:
"Let me understand the teaching of your precepts; then I will meditate on your wonders... I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free... My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life."

I just love yall and hope this blog finds you well. Mandi, say YES to pine cove! :) Ashley, I can't wait to hear about New Mexico. Kimbo, keep rockin it at pine cove. i love you guys. i'll be at the bonzai this weekend moving out for real, so I'll it hi for you.

lots of love - rooooooot

No comments: